For those of you who follow me on social media, you know I have a tendency to push the boundaries of appropriateness in my Instagram captions.
I have always considered the purpose of my Instagram platform to be “for the people.” I want to entertain, amuse, and make people happy. Though some people appreciate my vulgarity, I’m sure many find it highly offensive. Some may feel that I have been misusing my platform, and I cannot blame them. Thus, I want to offer you all my public apology:
If you have ever felt personally victimized by my Instagram captions or photos, I apologize! Just know that I do what I do in good fun.
I have always been fascinated by social media’s ability to engage, connect, and influence. Thus, I am very mindful of my social presence and social footprint. I understand the importance of building a strong, personal brand for myself. The brand that I am currently pushing is colored with carefree happiness of my college experience. However, as I prepare to enter a new stage in my life and step into new, cultivated roles, I have begun to reevaluate the content I produce. As I look over my (mostly) improper captions, I have tried to step into the shoes of my potential future employers.
Here are three steps I have taken to actively improve my Instagram etiquette:
- Change my settings to private
- Reevaluate my caption algorithm (see below)
- Consider my audience
Over my 5 year relationship with Instagram, both myself and the app have grown tremendously. It has been fascinating to see how Instagram has adapted to the always changing social environment and make the needed updates to remain relevant while both intimate and immediate.
As I mentioned earlier, my purpose for my Instagram platform is to make my followers laugh, as well as maintain a public “photo diary” of my life and promote things in my life that I hold important. These are the aspects I admire in the people I follow, so I have modeled my content based on what I enjoy to see.
Shockingly, many people have come to me for caption/ editing advice. If you are interested in my process, here is the lax algorithm I follow as I begin to develop an Instagram post:
- HUMOR. I have never been drawn to cheesy, sentimental captions (unless they are absolutely necessary). Humor is universally appreciated!
- Steer clear of taboo or “sensitive” topics. Be mindful of the meaning of your words and how they can be perceived by those different than you.
- Sexy sells! Utilize that PG-13 humor (assuming your audience is of age)
- Provide your followers with quality photos! Actively avoid the presence of illegal substances!!
- Keep up with recent trends/ internet sensations—-> I saw at least 100 captions referencing the “Cash me outside how bow dah” girl. I loved it. Though these come and go quickly, they prove you are constantly “listening” to the conversations on social. That’s right, you’re ~hip & ~trendy
I hope you have enjoyed this short lesson in Instagrammar. Feel free to follow me on Instagram at @ashesrene4. However, if you are easily offended, I would not recommend it. Viewers Discretion is Advised.
Ta ta for now!